Just a few days before Christmas, on December 12, 2009, jet black smoke came flowing from the iconic Irish brewery in Dublin. According to various press releases, renovation on a portion of the plant's roof was the culprit. Firefighters scrambled to keep the flames under control, as the Guinness factory is located in close proximity to an ammonia plant. Two firefighters were injured battling the blaze.
Thankfully, no beer was destroyed in the fire. The incident was contained to a storage room at the brewery, which reportedly rarely used and stored empty tanks and miscellaneous machinery.